Thursday, January 29, 2015

Houston Half and Survival mom really…..

Again, I am no good at this writing thing and I get sweaty armpits when I am interviewed. I get more nervous for interviews than before the start of a race. Crazy probably but, it’s a weakness and like I tell my kids just keep trying and practicing and one day you will nail it! So when you here me say “omm” for the 100th time in a row during an interview, I am aware of it. J

                I had a breakthrough performance this last weekend in the Houston half marathon, I still feel like I am trying to digest it all. I have been waiting to knock a race out of the park. It happened I felt strong, confident, relaxed and prepared! Thanks Mr. Aish. I was able to PR by 2 minutes and some change, running a 1:10:16.

                I have been getting a lot of emails about how I am able to do this “Super MOM” thing and get it all in. Well, first off I don’t think I am a “Super mom”. I am “Survival MOM” I might look like I have my shit together but, I am in a tornado from 5:30am to 8pm.  The honest truth is I do what I need to do to get through the day and my goal is that everyone has a smile and gets a couple good laughs in…. who needs clean floors! An older friend told me once you don’t die with your clean floors just your memories.  Good Advice!

My main goals of the day are getting them a healthy breakfast, a packed lunch and a good dinner! Getting them to their activities and making sure to get my share of hugs and kisses and time with them. I don’t worry much about the other stuff that is all stuff that will eventually get done J if you could see the mountain of clothing that’s stacked in the guest room right now. I don’t even put clothing in drawers most of the times you find your clean goods in a basket that has all your laundry in it, the red ring around the toilet, the grass and dirt that all the kiddos and dog have brought in, enough dust on the shelf to cause someone to have an asthma attack.  I have always allowed my kids to pretty much make decisions and choices which means that they regularly wear P.Js (I can’t blame them). They don’t like to brush their hair, I have the kid with dreads and a birds nest in her hair, not the cute braids and matching coordinated clothing. I do make them bush their teeth! Which is no easy task every night.
 I guess what I am trying to say is do what you LOVE and feel is important and don’t sweat the small stuff! Yeah I try to keep up with it but, what important to me is my Family, Friends and Running.  If I get to spend time with them and run everyday life can’t get much better. So to all you moms out there who have sent me emails just RELAX and don’t worry about the small stuff! Floor, toilets, laundry overrated! Make time for the things you love and the rest of it will eventually get done.
My Husband is a firefighter so he is gone random hours. The real push is the evenings, sometimes I feel truly overwhelmed! Getting Riley's math and reading homework done, cooking dinner the evening grind and having a 4 year old who loves, let's just say, to be very helpful can really be a challenge, I often find myself taking deep breaths in the pantry, I will admit I have even dropped some tears and questions if it's work it? My answer is always YES! What i am trying to say is I know its not easy but keep at it! I would say I feel overwhelmed often, but in the end I have no regrets. Wife, MOM, Running....I want it all! Handworkconsistency and determination works at home and on the roads! I promise I struggle but that's what makes us who we are we have the warrior gene:)
A year ago I stopped looking and what others had and started to look at what I have (more than I could ever imagine) and the things I can control land how to make my dreams happen. My situation is not always ideal but, my heart is in it and I focus on what I can do and control and have really enjoyed the challenges and journey so far.....
Thanks to everybody who supports me....My husband, Adidas BRC, ElliptiGO , Aish Interaction Coaching

BRI


 

2 comments:

  1. Brianne - you are such an inspiration! I don't have half the responsibilities during my day that you do, but you are one tough lady (competitor, mother, etc.)!!! Every thing I have seen and heard of you is genuine and truly bad ass. I hope that some day I can be the half the mother and runner that you are. Would love to hear more about your daily routine... what are the essential must haves (things you love)... how you are able to interact with your coach and teammates during the chaos? Keep up the hard work! More break through races to come in 2015!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats...that's an awesome half mary time! And really, your kids will not remember the messy house...they will cherish the memories of that pumpkin patch trip and other things that matter!

    ReplyDelete